Mother Truele - Nurturing Christ Centered Children

Friday, March 29, 2013

2.
REMEMBRANCE MEAL FOR JESUS

April 23rd, 2000
Easter Sunday

I try to have Remembrance lunches or suppers for Jesus in April, August and December.  I like to have the April occasion somewhat like the Passover meal, at least with some of the traditional foods and of course to remember his Resurrection.  In August it is focused on our gifts we can bring Jesus.  In December we remember his gifts he gives us as well as his birth.  I had been preparing in mind and on paper for several days.   I am always anxious to SEE the presentation of the meal, even before it is cooked!  So, on Saturday night I set the table with all the royal plates that J gave me and the shorter goblets, some topaz and some green.  (The tall glass goblets were put on before the meal) I covered everything with a long piece of blue and white yardage I have.  Early Sunday morning I got a brilliant idea and took everything off the table and put a left over strip of clear plastic on top of the white tablecloth so I wouldn't have to worry about the little ones spilling grape juice on the cloth!  The plastic was left over painters plastic that I had bought when trying to cover the garage roof to keep it from leaking before J could fix it!  It was just three feet wide and was perfect for the table.  (I was going to return it after I found a larger piece for the roof.)  I reset the table and it looked beautiful.  I had a beautiful Easter lily at the window end of the table.  It had four blossoms and I actually saw one of the blossoms open as I did my preparation!  It was so fragrant!  
 I cut all the vegetables and put them in separate baggies.  (Carrots, green, red and yellow peppers, yellow crookneck squash and red onions.  (I forgot to buy the zucchini.)  I made a marinade for them and had that ready.  I scrubbed the 14 little red potatoes and put them in a bag.  I defrosted the four pieces of salmon and put them in a Pyrex container with the seasonings on top and covered it to put back in the refrigerator.  I mixed up the matzo ball ingredients with the eggs and put that in the refrigerator.  I also put the rice on to cook with the warmer function set.
C and I got ready and went to Church.   It was so nice to have her sitting by me in Church.  She wore a light beige sweater and long beige skirt.  She wore the special white and purple Kiana lei made with Thailand orchids that I gave her on the 16th and she wore at her graduation.  It still looked so beautiful and so did she.  I wore the Micronesian ginger lei over a light flowered dress which seemed appropriate for Easter.  C wouldn't let me tell anyone about her being a flight attendant!  She said it is just our secret!  I just wanted to tell everyone!  She said it wasn't appropriate so I held back my enthusiasm!   After Sacrament, (B offered the prayer in his usual sincere way)  I left to get M and drive her to the University Ward.  She looked so beautiful in a soft ivory background dress with pink-orchid to mauve flowers and then wore a nice orchid jacket over it.  I drove back to our Ward and was there for the last fifteen minutes of Sacrament meeting.  
C and I drove home and I put all the vegetables into the Pyrex and poured on the wet seasonings and put both Pyrex containers in the oven at 400 degrees.  I put a knife into each of the potatoes and put them in the microwave to cook.  I had put some soy and sugar in the chicken earlier and I began heating it up.  It was left over from Saturday night, but was enough for us to add to our meal.  It was more of a Chinese chicken flavor so I just decided to make it more teriyaki for this meal.  J came over and cut up the apples into tiny dices and then added the chopped walnuts and honey and cinnamon for the Charoset.  B and C came to help do the other last minute things: napkins and silverware, water in the topaz and green shorter goblets and grape juice in the tall glass goblets.  J and B and C then began to serve each of the plates.  They put parsley, a little horseradish, matzo cracker and a couple bagel chips, chicken, a little red potato, the baked Salmon and colorful vegetables on each plate.  J put the Charoset in the tiny side container- a tiny plate (china doll plates I have saved-plus some Japanese mustard-soy plates!)  The water and grape juice with ice filled the goblets.  About six nice Japanese soup cups, that L gave me, placed down the center of the table were filled with the salt water to dip the parsley in.  Oh yes, there was olives also and some papaya cut up on each plate.  It was indeed a colorful table setting!  I took photos, of course.  W brought N and K.  L and M couldn't come.  J and M and S and R were there and B, C, A and D.  S didn't feel good.  Then there was M, C and I.  The table was our usual two closet door length boards on the low livingroom tables.  I used two white tableclothes.  Also I had some angels on the table down the center and some silk flowers that came apart from a lei.  They looked like springtime and Easter.   On a side table I had the candleholder J created for me, and pictures of Jesus as well as a plaque in English and Hebrew of Numbers 6:24-26 and some other things like a little new testament that contribute to the atmosphere of our day.  It was a lovely dinner and the table setting looked like a work of Art according to all the guests!  For Jesus there is nothing but the best!  Oh yes, Jesus had his place setting at the head of the table!
After our clean up, W, his two, B, J and boys and I went up to Punchbowl and they weeded while I shared a beautiful tape of Jesus.  It was a lovely Easter.


These photos do not illustrate what I have just shared above, but are more glances at the table settings.

In this photo you can see that I use two wooden closet sliding doors for the table top!  I use low tables for the support or recently I am using some plastic stools from Home Depot that are perfect for the putting the wooden boards on. I get beautiful long tablecloths from Ross for the table.  The tableware is from a mail order catalog.  They would not ship to Hawaii, so I had my mainland daughter receive them and then she arranged to ship them here.  They are gold and maroon and look somewhat like a Versacci design and look elegant and royal.  Sitting down on the floor or on pillows is the luau style of old Hawaii, and it has worked well for my family.  Some may choose to sit on the couch or living room chairs.


This was another Remembrance Supper when I invited friends over for the occasion.



Below is the Challah bread that I bake at least for Christmas and sometimes more.  








No comments:

Post a Comment